The University Police Department is a vital part of Texas State, committed to creating a safe environment for learning, living and working. We rely on a variety of internal and external relationships to fulfill this mission.
The list below describes the specialized function of each part of UPD. See how they fit together in our organization chart.
Police Authority and Interagency Relationships
The University Police Department is a public service-oriented law enforcement agency responsible for the safety and protection of all Texas State students, faculty and staff. UPD officers have law enforcement authority in any county in which the university owns or controls property. All university police officers are licensed as peace officers by the State of Texas. UPD police officers are commissioned as peace officers by the Board of Regents of the Texas State University System under the authority of section 51.203 of the Texas Education Code.
The University Police Department has a close working relationship with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. Many of these relationships are formalized through interagency agreements or memorandums of understanding. These include memorandums of understanding (MOUs) with Hays County, Round Rock and San Marcos. The MOU with the city of San Marcos is significant in that, in addition to cooperation, it authorizes UPD officers to enforce most city ordinances on any property within the city of San Marcos.
UPD also collaborates with other departments within Texas State.
- Office of Professional Development: offering safety training courses to the campus community.
- Parking Services: managing overlapping responsibilities related to campus transportation.
- UPD’s Bobcat Bobbies provide campus safety escorts after dark. Parking Services runs van shuttles between campus and the perimeter parking lots. Call dispatch at 512.245.SAFE (512.245.7233) for details and hours for both of these services.
- Parking Services runs the RIDE Program, helping to keep bicycles safe on campus.
- Both UPD and Parking Services assist motorists with services including jump-starts and unlocks (for non-electronic doors and windows only). UPD also responds to vehicle accidents.
We strive for transparency and accountability. You can view PDFs of key documents including policies, procedures, reports, forms and other documentation of UPD’s work.