TapRide is a new mobile app available to the students, faculty and staff of Texas State University, which makes it easier than ever to request a safety escort during nighttime hours. Users can quickly schedule a FREE ride and then track their vehicle’s location in real-time. This app is designed as a safety service to all Texas State University community members to help get them from one point on campus to another safely.
TapRide works similarly to Uber and Lyft. Once a ride has been requested, a driver is assigned based on the pickup/drop-off location and the user will receive an approximate wait time.
Where SafeRide/TapRide/Bobbies Services Can Take You
There are two main components to the SafeRide/TapRide service: the Bobcat Bobbies Golf Cart service and the SafeRide/TapRide van which is driven by the Bobcat Bobbies.
Bobcat Bobbies Golf Cart Service
- Limited to inner campus trips
- During severe weather only provides a walking escort
SafeRide/TapRide Van Service
- Designated pickup points throughout San Marcos Campus
- Transports individuals to drop-off points located on campus, to include Mill Street, Bobcat Village or Athletic complexes
To use TapRide, you will need to download the app onto your mobile device by:
- Searching for TapRide on your mobile device via App Store or Google Play.
- Once downloaded, select “Texas State University” when prompted from the list.
- Log in to the app using your TXST NetID/Password.
- Select “Request a Ride,” then choose your pickup location and destination.
Please note that SafeRide/TapRide is a safety escort service and is not designed to be used as a transportation service. SafeRide/TapRide is only available from 10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m., 7 days a week (limited service during summer sessions)
For students, faculty and staff in need of transportation, Texas State’s bus service is in operation during all class days.
- Monday through Thursday, service runs from about 7 a.m. to 10:20 p.m.
- Friday service runs from about 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday bus routes run from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Bus services are NOT offered on Sundays.
I have downloaded and opened the TapRide app but get a message that says, “Service Not Available.” Why?
If you are receiving the “Service Not Available” message after requesting a ride, it is likely because you are trying to use the TapRide app outside of service hours, which run from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m., or you are requesting a ride to an out-of-zone area before 10 p.m.
There may not be a driver currently available depending on your pickup location and destination. For example, if your destination is Bobcat Village but it is not 10:30 p.m. yet., only Bobcat Bobbies will be available and they are not able to take a rider off-campus.
Yes. The SafeRide service requires that the university establish designated pickup stops. There are currently 36 different stops located throughout the campus and every effort has been made to place these stops at, or near, a Blue Emergency Phone. Riders can monitor the TapRide app on their mobile device to see when their driver is close by before walking to the stop.
As the SafeRide program develops at Texas State, we will establish additional stop locations and move pickup/drop-off locations so that we can best serve our community.
The TapRide app is FREE to download. Requesting a ride is available only to TXST students, faculty and staff.
Unfortunately, no. The system does not allow for more than one pickup/drop-off stop per passenger.
You cannot change your pickup/drop-off location once you have made a request.
Any questions regarding TXST SafeRide or the TapRide app can be directed to the University Police Department at 512.245.2805. For additional information regarding the app, please visit the TapRide website.