History of UPD
Like Texas State itself, the University Police Department has a long history.
At the beginning, in 1903, when the university was Southwest Texas State Normal School and Old Main was the only building on campus, security was provided by one night watchman.
Over the decades, as more students came to San Marcos, more campus security did as well.
In 1966, campus law enforcement across the country changed significantly after the tower shooting at the University of Texas at Austin. That event was the catalyst for our department at Texas State; we became a fully-operational police unit by 1968. From that point on, all officers employed by UPD have been required to be certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
As Texas State has grown from a teachers’ school to a well-rounded college to an emerging research university, our department has grown with the campus community. UPD currently consists of commissioned police officers, uniformed security officers, uniformed parking officers, support staff and student staff.